Lidl Cyprus cooperates with experienced partners to compensate for its greenhouse gases. Compensation projects are selected according to high quality requirements. It thus offsets the emissions resulting from its various operations and makes its business activities carbon neutral*. At the same time, we continue to work towards avoiding CO2 emissions where possible or in reducing unavoidable emissions.
Measures in our logistics centres and stores
We manage energy more efficiently:
- using energy saving lighting
- by extending the photovoltaic systems on the roofs of our stores and other facilities, we supply our facilities in Cyprus with clean and sustainable energy
- 18 stores, 1 warehouse and 1 administration building are ISO 50001 certified
- we have the most certified green buildings in the country, following a specific green renovation programme that reduces its environmental footprint. With EDGE certification, Lidl Cyprus saves 743 tons of carbon dioxide, 90862 cubic metres of water and 1551 MWh of energy per year. It initially received EDGE green building certification for 17 of its stores, using the model of the International Finance Corporation (IFC), a financial arm of the World Bank.
We use natural resources more sparingly:
- using more natural refrigerants in our stores and warehouses
- we take a stand against food waste and waste in general by using more and more recycled materials for our packaging as part of our plastic strategy
Measures in our product range and supply chains
We reduce emissions in the early stages of the supply chain:
- engaging our suppliers, to set their own climate targets based on the methodology of the ‘Science Based Targets’ initiative
- we promote the expansion of our carbon neutral ** product range by adapting the characteristics of our products
* Climate neutral for direct and indirect emissions, through certified compensation projects.
** Climate neutral through certified compensation projects